A novel by Andre Norton & Lyn McConchie. Followed by The Duke's Ballad.
Paperback, Aspect, 245pp., ISBN: 0 446 60644 8, 1998
- p1. Book One "Thrice-Horned to Death and Destruction"
- p3. Horning ordered in Karsten (see Witch World)
- p6. Ciara barely 9 years old
- p13 Trovagh a year older than Ciara
- p29. Yvian is short a bride (Loyse), Estcarp made a foray against the Kolder, Kolder are gone from Kars
- p34. Betrothal of Ciara & Trovagh
- p35. Later that year
- p47. Death of Yvian (see Web of the Witch World)
- p54. Ciara 10 in less than a week
- p60. A year past then another 18 months - Ciara 12 Trovagh 13
- p62. Civil war reaches South
- p67. Clan squabbling for four years
- p70. Ciara 13
- p101. Ciara 17
- p102. Year of the Pronghorn - Ciara 18
- p107. Ciara and Trovagh wed
- p110. Three years pass - a boy is born, four years later a daughter - Pagar begins his rise
- p111. Next two years Pagar strengthens his keep, three years later crowned as Duke. Pagar is 33 when announces a campaign against Verlaine.
- p113. Attack on Kars by Estcarp/Sulcar - revolt by half-brother, three years pass
- p114. Ciara's daughter is 16 - Pagar raids Estcarp over the next few years
- p115. Ciara's daughter dies.
- p118. Another year
- p120. Ciara and Trovagh's son has a son - three years pass, another son
- p121. Pagar harrying Estcarp forces - mention of Facellian
- p128. Alizon will be defeated
- p135. The Turning. (see Three Against the Witch World)
- p137. Book Two "If the Dream Is Worth the Price"
- p139. “Aisling was almost eleven.” (Ciara’s grandaughter)
- p140. “Kirion was now twenty, while Aisling had just celebrated her eleventh name day. Keelan at seventeen was kinder to his younger sister.”
- p164. “She [Aisling] celebrated her twelfth name day with Keelan assisting. His name day would come in early spring. He would be eighteen.” Snow.
- p167. Keelan turns 18.
- p175. “Two years after Keelan had deserted Iren [his mother's keep], Shandro became duke of Kars.”
- p208. Aisling is 17.
- p243. Aisling meets Neevor. (see: The Crystal Gryphon,Gryphon in Glory,Gryphon's Eyrie, The Jargoon Pard, set before The Warding of the Witch World.)
There is a major problem with the timing in this novel - from all the other works the time between The Horning and The Turning is "close to 25 years" (see: Three Against the Witch World), which is insufficient time for a 9 year old to become a grandmother. In addition the Year of the Pronghorn is sometime BEFORE The Horning - see Silver May Tarnish. Also, why is Neevor in Escore and what is he doing welcoming strange girls who just came through a magic portal there by himself? The second half takes place between The Turning and The Gate of the Cat.
- Page numbers refer to paperback edition