Silver May Tarnish
A novel by Andre Norton and Lyn McConchie.
- Paperback, Tor, 304pp., ISBN: 0-7653-4553-6, 2005
- p1. Lorcan born in Erondale in the Year of the Pard.
- p2. Two siblings died of the Coughing Sickness in the Year of the Pronghorn, some years before the Year of the Pard.
- p3. Alizon making trouble - Lorcan is nearly eight.
- p7. Meera, Lorcan's sister born, their mother dies.
- p9. Anla 14 - a year later, Merrion is 17, Lorcan is 8.
- p11. Another 2 years - Meera dies aged 2, word was of war, Lorcan 10. Spies in High Hallack. Year of the Moss Wife ends.
- p12. Invasion.
- p13. Father & Merrion die.
- p15. Aged 10, Lorcan is Lord of Erondale and reaches Paltendale.
- p21. Three years later.
- p26. Three months later.
- p27. Six months later - Berond died - Lorcan is 14.
- p29. Lorcan is 15.
- p42. Were-Riders gathered once more - Were-Riders fighting for nearly three years - near end of Year of the Hornet. Lorcan is 17.
- p43. Battle of Hagar Pass.
- p47. Nearly a year passed, Lorcan 18 Years old at end of Year of the Unicorn.
- p52. Meive (narration) “I lay in my bed remembering that year when I had been ten and eager to learn” She is chosen to be trained by the “Wise-Woman of the Bees” as her apprentice.
- # p53. Two years before, when Meive was 8 a 13yr old boy named Neeco was not accepted by the hive and left the village.
- p55. Ithia the Wise-Woman says, “Keep her with you two further Winters. Once she is twelve, let her join me in my home…” Meive (narration) “For two years I was happy.” “But a year before Ithia bespoke me, she had gone on a journey. From that she had returned with two new queens. They were larger, blacker, and fierce.”
- p61. Meive (narration) “I had just turned thirteen.” Ithia spoke then. “…Spring comes swiftly now.”
- p75. Meive (narration) “The cheeky lad I recalled was gone. In his [Neeco's] place a man of eighteen strutted.”
- p77. Meive (narration) “I was a girl and only thirteen.”
- p86. Meive (narration) “Summer came—for the third time I believed. If I was right, then I was now sixteen.”
- p88. Meive sees Lorcan for the first time. [Spring, the year after the Year of the Unicorn]
- p140. Lorcan (narration) “It had been late Spring when I met my lady. Now it was Summer.”
- p.181. Levas says “We named her [the kitten] Gathea.” Both Lorcan and I recognized the name. It was that of a legendary wise woman who had been with our people when first we came into the dales. (see Horn Crown)
- p224. Levas (narration) “That first Winter was one I think I shall never forget.”
- p286. Meive (narration) “On the longest day of the year we were wed, Lorcan and I…”
- p294. Appendix is a study of the song “Silver May Tarnish” and it’s variations attributed to “Lautron of Alsvale, song gatherer of Lormt. Year of the Pard.”
|Lorcan's Age||Year Name||Event|
|-3?||Year of the Pronghorn||Coughing Sickness|
|0||Year of the Pard||Lorcan born|
|10||Year of the Moss Wife|
|17||Year of the Hornet||Battle of Hagar Pass, Alizon defeated|
|18||Year of the Unicorn||Lorcan fights bandits and travels south|
|19||Meive saves Levas from bandits and together they resettle Honeycoombe|
page revision: 9, last edited: 12 Jan 2014 05:41