- Paperback, Tor, 295pp., ISBN: 0-812-51107-7, 1992, cover by Doriau
- p1. Prologue
- p3. Chapter One
- p12. The Turning, many years ago, barkeep was 'little more than a lad'.
- p18. Six years ago - Eydryth was little more than a chld, Jervon was struck down.
- p22. Chapter Two
- p25. Hounds of Alizon still 'prick' Estcarp's northern border.
- p38. Chapter Three
- p43. Hyana one year older than Eydryth, Firdun is five years younger than Eydryth. 1
- p44. Elys disappeared nine years ago when Eydryth was ten.
- p58. Chapter Four
- p75. Chapter Five
- p85. Alon: "Steel Talon belongs to no one but himself. His master, Jonthal, was my friend and partner. He… was killed. Murdered. Instead of willing himself to join his master in death, as is customary for these birds, Steel Talon has chosen instead to live for the day in which he will find his master's slayer… and on that day, he will wreak a terrible vengeance."
- p86. Monso born in Year of the Werewolf when Alon was 13. 2
- p87. Alon and Eydryth born in the Year of the Hippogriff.
- p89. 'Both travelers were forced to ward off branches continually, for this area, having been much stirred about during the aftershocks of the Turning, was covered with younger trees sprouted since the forest giants had fallen, thirty years before.' Turning - thirty years before. 3
- p. 93. Chapter Six
- p105. Stone of Konnard mentioned. (see: Exile)
- p113. Chapter Seven
- pp124-125. Alon mentions he was fostered by Lord Parlan of Karsten. Yachne had presented him as a child of a kinsman, though Alon has his doubts. He was freed when the keep was attacked by someone in league with a powerful Dark One. (see: 'Ware Hawk.) He wound his way towards Escore and was fostered by Hilarion and Kaththea but "several years after I came to live with them they had a child of their own..then, two years later, another" by that time Alon was nearly fully grown.
- p125. Alon: "Once on the other side of the mountains [Karsten], I encountered Jonthal, Steel Talon's master. I'd had a Falconer friend, Nirel, when I was a child so I spoke to him, where I was cautious in speaking to other men. We became friends, and soon we were leading parties over the mountains from Karsten and Estcarp into Escore." (Nirel- see: 'Ware Hawk.)
- p126 "The force I unleashed struck Jonthal, while the assassin stood unscathed. My friend was dead before he struck the stinking cobbles of that thrice-cursed alley." Alon stared fixedly at his hands. "I killed him."
- p131 Chapter Eight
- p149. Chapter Nine
- p158. Elona and Keris perhaps five years younger than Eydryth.
- p167. Chapter Ten
- p180. Chapter Eleven
- p200. Chapter Twelve
- p218. Chapter Thirteen
- p239. Chapter Fourteen
- p257. Chapter Fifteen
- p269. Jervon wakes after six years in a coma.
- p274. Chapter Sixteen
- p290. Elys is freed.
- p291. Trevon is born.
- p293. Epilogue
|Year Since the Betrayal||Year Name||Event|
|1045||Year of the Hippogriff||Alon & Eydryth born|
|1049||Year of the Kobold||The Turning|
|1050||Eydryth 5, Firdun born, Keris and Elona born|
|1051||Year of the Horned Hunter|
|1052||Year of the Lamia|
|1055||Eydryth 10, Elys disappeared whilst pregnant|
|1057||Alon 12. This is the year 'Ware Hawk takes place in which is probably the same year as Sorceress of the Witch World|
|1058||Year of the Werewolf||Alon 13. Monso foaled (He is part Keplian so this is probably when Alon arrived in Escore and was fostered by Hilarion & Kalthea), Jervon struck down|
|1059||Year of the Horned Cat||follows Year of the Werewolf|
|1061||probably the year Kalthea & Hilarion's first child is born|
|1063||probably the year Kalthea & Hilarion's second child is born and when Jonthal dies|
|1064||Jervon cured, Elys found, Trevon born|
- Joisan was pregnant with her first child (Hyana) in Gryphon's Eyrie which takes place in the Year of the Unicorn and was due to give birth Midwinter of that Year.
- Alon believes he is at least 12 in 'Ware Hawk so this event takes place a year after that story.
- Only 15 years have passed since the Turning rather than the stated 30 years.
page revision: 38, last edited: 05 Sep 2015 08:31